5 Tips for Material Handling Safety
Material handling accidents are one of the most common reasons for injury at aggregates operations.
According to the Safety Watch section of the August 2013 print issue of Aggregates Manager, 38 percent of all injuries reported at sand, stone and gravel operations in 2012 were the result of a material handling accident.
Follow these best practices to avoid accidents and injuries during material handling:
Use proper material handling procedures to handle, store or move (manually or mechanically) items and prevent strains, fractures and hernias.
Always wear personal protective equipment, such as work gloves, safety boots, safety glasses or goggles or metatarsal guards
Seek help and/or attach handles or holds to loads for lifting
Know the limit on mechanical lifting equipment. Load capacity should be displayed on all lifting equipment.
Avoid back injuries by implementing ergonomics such as reducing the size and weight of lifted objects, using a lifting aid changing the height of lifted objects or using a shelf.
Safety Watch information was provided by the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA).
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers293 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger142 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park142 Views