AGG 1 Academy Highlights
The education program at the AGG 1 Forum & Expo offers a wide range of topics to choose from.
by Kerry Clines, Senior Editor
AGG 1 Academy will have aggregate industry experts and panelists present courses and case studies on relevant, timely operation and management topics. Many of the courses will be of interest not only to aggregates industry personnel, but also to their suppliers and customers, as well as to paving and construction personnel.
In the following complete list of courses, we’ve offered more in-depth information about some of the courses that caught our eye.
Tuesday, Feb. 16, 7:30-9 a.m.
- T41: The “Sweet Spot” – Technology, Techniques, and Procedures to Establish and Maintain It within Your Operations. This presentation will illustrate the use of available technology to obtain and evaluate current operating data so you can establish the acceptable range of performance for each process variable needed to define and achieve the “Sweet Spot” within which optimal profit can be achieved.
- T42: Behavior-Based Safety.
- T43: Screening and Screen Media Selection 101.
- T44: Methods of Underwater Excavations.
- T45: Tire Monitoring.
- T46: The Orca Quarry: A Win-Win Partnership with Local First Nations.
- T47: Aggregate Technology 101: Session 1.
Tuesday, Feb. 16, 9:30-11 a.m.
- T51: Pros & Cons of Contract Drilling & Blasting.
- T52: Energy Management in a Quarry: Getting Payback. This course will explain the steps you can take to start saving money on energy consumption at your operation — selecting the right metering and data collection devices; using load-controlling devices; and selecting the best billing plan and power rate and taking advantage of incentives, grants, and other rebate programs offered by utilities.
- T53: Managing Multiple Priorities.
- T54: Everything You Wanted to Know about Crushing but were Afraid to Ask: The Sequel.
- T55: How Clamshell Dredges in the Cincinnati Area Changed the Way Producers Mine Sand and Gravel.
- T56: Starting an Underground Mine.
- T57: Aggregate Technology 101: Session II.
Tuesday, Feb. 16, 2-3:30 p.m.
- T61: Aerial Photography for Topographic Mapping and Volumetric Inventory Reporting.
- T62: Overcoming Community Opposition.
- T63: Mining the Benefits of Sustainability and Making it Core to Your Operations.
- T64: Contesting MSHA Citations. This presentation will highlight key procedural considerations to help you successfully contest MSHA citations, including strategies for research, informal conferences, proceedings for administrative law judges, appeals, and settlement negotiations.
- T65: Dry Processing of Manufactured Sand.
- T66: Blending and Load Out Systems.
Wednesday, Feb. 17, 7:30-9 a.m.
- W41: Small Projects, Big Profits.
- W42: The Accidental Boss.
- W43: Storm Water Compliance Strategies for EPA’s Enforcement Initiative in the Aggregates Industry. This session will evaluate EPA’s current storm water enforcement status as well as review industry compliance strategies that include how to implement training, and how to implement that training into your Environmental Management System.
- W44: Washing 101.
- W45: Dealing with Clay in Dredge Deposits.
- W46: Slope Stability.
Wednesday, Feb. 17, 9:30-11 a.m.
- W51: Setting Up a Belt Scale Calibration Maintenance Program.
- W52: Clean Decisions on Capital Budgets: ROIC for Plant Managers. This course will focus on how to analyze and measure your plant’s return on investment with a critical eye on real per-ton productivity.
- W53: A Model and Process for Assessing the Value of a Company’s Environment, Health, and Safety Programs.
- W54: Selection of a Primary Crushing Option.
- W55: Conveying 101.
- W56: Quarry Blasting and Community Relations.
Wednesday, Feb. 17, 2-3:30 p.m.
- W61: Automation 101
- W62: Productivity Improvement without Breaking the Bank. This presentation will explain how to apply the scientific management techniques of Lean and Six Sigma I order to reap tremendous improvements in production while reducing equipment and labor expenses.
- W63: Groundwater Occurrence and Impacts to Your Bottom Line.
- W64: Web-Based Safety.
- W65: Blasting Perception through Blast Design.
- W66: Selection of Excavation and Support Equipment for Sand and Aggregates Operations.
Thursday, Feb. 18, 7:30-9 a.m.
- TH41: Using Basic Statistical and Fragmentation Analysis to Improve Blast Results and Crusher Throughput.
- TH42: Dos and Don’ts for Conducting Environmental Site Assessments and Compliance Audits at Aggregate Operations.
- TH43: Surface Mine Rescue Training.
- TH44: Maximizing the Aggregate Circuit. This presentation will show how to analyze the customer product demand and how to design the plant, equipment, and flow to maximize the mass flow balance, product quality, and proportions to reduce the cost of goods sold.
- TH45: Site Assessments Review — Key Elements to Lower Your Cost per Ton.
- TH46: Motor Efficiencies Law.
Thursday, Feb. 18, 9:30-11 a.m.
- TH51: Dust Control in Crushed Stone, Sand & Gravel Operations.
- TH52: Safety & Health Management Systems. This presentation will discuss various approaches to safety and instruct on key elements of a health and safety management system, including training, accountability, measurement, and continuous process improvement. It will discuss potential obstacles to the creation and implementation of programs and ways to avoid those challenges.
- TH53: Washing: Texas Style.
- TH54: Maximizing Plant Productivity by Benchmarking and Evaluating Performance.
- TH55: Rail Transportation of Aggregates.
- TH56: Tier III Engines and Beyond.
Ticket Prices (as of Jan. 22)
1 – 2 tickets $110 each
3 – 7 tickets $ 95 each
8 or more tickets $ 75 each
AGG 1 Schedule
Monday, Feb. 15
8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Education
Tuesday, Feb. 16
7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Education
11:15 a.m. – 5 p.m. Exhibits Open
Wednesday, Feb. 17
7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Education
11 a.m. – 5 p.m. Exhibits Open
Thursday, Feb. 18
7:30 – 11 a.m. Education
9 a.m. – 2 p.m. Exhibits Open
From our partners
MORE FROM Articles
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Quarry explosion damages homes and cars and injures one person1062 Views
- Martin Marietta mine among 18 cited during MSHA monthly inspection in April649 Views
- EPA releases final Waters of the U.S. rule, aggregates industry reacts358 Views
- Man dies after nearly 100-foot fall into quarry358 Views
- Vulcan Materials conducts blast for the 'Mayan steps' restoration339 Views