FHWA’s Justin Ocel named recipient of AISI’s Robert J. Dexter Memorial Lecture
American Iron and Steel Institute’s (AISI) Steel Market Development Institute (SMDI) Steel Bridge Task Force and the American Association of State and Highway Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Technical Committee for Structural Steel Design have named Justin Ocel, Ph.D., P.E., as the 2010 recipient of the Robert J. Dexter Memorial Lecture.
The program was instituted in 2005 in memory of Robert J. Dexter, an associate professor of civil engineering at the University of Minnesota, who was an internationally recognized expert on steel fracture and fatigue problems.
The Robert J. Dexter Memorial Lecture program provides an opportunity for an individual early in his/her career in structural engineering to present a lecture on his/her steel bridge activities to the SMDI Steel Bridge Task Force and to participate in its semiannual three-day meeting. The Steel Bridge Task Force is comprised of the United States’ leading steel bridge experts.
Ocel currently works as a research structural engineer for the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), managing the R&D program for High-Performance Steel (HPS). He also serves as the principal investigator on the NCHRP (National Cooperative Highway Research Program) Project 12-84, Guidelines for the Load and Resistance Factor Design and Rating of Riveted, Bolted and Welded Gusset-Plate Connections for Steel Bridges.
Ocel’s presentation, delivered to the SMDI Steel Bridge Task Force on Aug. 12 in Washington D.C., was titled “Fatigue Analysis of a Ship-Loading Structure.” The presentation outlined a case study that determined the remaining fatigue life of a complex moveable structure used to load coal into cargo ships.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support179 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park161 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger148 Views
- NSSGA wants everyone to ask their representative to co-sponsor the Regulatory Integrity Protection Act (H.R. 1732) to stop proposed Waters of the U.S. rule119 Views