Americans pay the lowest motor fuel tax, according to FHWA report
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) released the August 2012 edition of the Monthly Motor Fuel Report, which found that the overall change nationwide was +0.2 percent compared to the same period last year, according to the report.
The report also noted that Americans pay the least in motor fuel tax. The average U.S. Motor Fuel Tax (average state and federal tax) is $0.40 for gasoline, and $0.46 diesel. In comparison, foreign tax rates are considerably higher (i.e. Japan in August 2012 was $3.21 and Italy was $4.90), according to the report. This might give more ammunition to increase the gas tax to fund the next highway bill. Like everyone else, I don’t want to pay more at the pump. However, the gas tax has not been increased in several years and each 1-cent increase in the federal gas tax generates about $1.8 billion in revenue, according to Joseph Giglio, a professor at Northeastern University who has written extensively about transportation financing, in a USA Today report. (And the gas tax alone is not enough to fund what we need in a highway bill.)
Highlights of the report also include the following:
- August gasoline/gasohol reported 11,955,661,580 gallons of use.
- August Diesel reported 3,280,232,424.
- Cumulative total for gasoline January 2012 to August 2012 was 91,127,207,427.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest…
MORE FROM Articles
Manufacturer news: Hlavinka Equipment opens Texas Hlavinda JCB division; Terex Washing Systems appoints new global sales director; Skelly and Loy promotes Aungst to VP of AMS; Luff Industries adds Riddell as territory manager; Caterpillar opens first Data Innovation Lab; Yokohama Tire Corp. will help build eco-friendly playground
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Vulcan Materials to meet August deadline for restoring eastern hillside of Azusa rock quarry479 Views
- MSHA Fatality Review Committee determines several fatalities are chargeable to the mining industry339 Views
- PHOTOS: Caterpillar: Modern Earthmoving Marvels traces equipment evolution219 Views
- Kingsteps Quarry in Scotland will be examined for the remains of World War II planes213 Views
- Holcim and Lafarge nominate candidates for merged company’s board of directors197 Views