ARTBA: Gas tax increase removes roadblocks
The American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) President and CEO Pete Ruane has released a statement regarding a report issued by members of the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform and the recommendation to dedicate a 15-cents-per-gallon gas tax increase to transportation funding.
The statement, released Dec. 1, follows:
“The recommendation by Sen. Simpson and Mr. Bowles to increase the federal gas tax is a small, yet essential, action necessary to help put the nation’s economy back on solid footing for the future. This new revenue should be viewed as a critical investment that will not only put thousands of Americans back to work in the short term, but will also increase U.S. productivity and make our economy more competitive. The Simpson-Bowles recommendation is fiscally responsible. It will ensure that the federal surface transportation program has sustainable funding and remains deficit neutral.
“This recommendation would remove the roadblock that has delayed a multi-year reauthorization of the federal highway and transit programs for more than a year.
“ARTBA’s more than 5,000 members support the report and its recommendations when it comes up for a vote on Dec. 3.”
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Check out the fun of Fertile Days at Fertile Quarry3103 Views
- PHOTOS, VIDEO: Take a virtual tour of Unimin's underground operation in Guion, Ark.2327 Views
- When gravel doesn't bond with resurfacing substance...534 Views
- How to become a more productive worker312 Views
- Sneak peek: Inside Unimin's safety strategies309 Views