ARTBA: Gas tax increase removes roadblocks
The American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) President and CEO Pete Ruane has released a statement regarding a report issued by members of the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform and the recommendation to dedicate a 15-cents-per-gallon gas tax increase to transportation funding.
The statement, released Dec. 1, follows:
“The recommendation by Sen. Simpson and Mr. Bowles to increase the federal gas tax is a small, yet essential, action necessary to help put the nation’s economy back on solid footing for the future. This new revenue should be viewed as a critical investment that will not only put thousands of Americans back to work in the short term, but will also increase U.S. productivity and make our economy more competitive. The Simpson-Bowles recommendation is fiscally responsible. It will ensure that the federal surface transportation program has sustainable funding and remains deficit neutral.
“This recommendation would remove the roadblock that has delayed a multi-year reauthorization of the federal highway and transit programs for more than a year.
“ARTBA’s more than 5,000 members support the report and its recommendations when it comes up for a vote on Dec. 3.”
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining advanced materials technology, with skillful design focusing on…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- VIDEO: World conference discusses Lafarge-Holcim merger454 Views
- Controversial quarry granted permit by Indiana Department of Natural Resources443 Views
- PHOTOS: Reclamation photo contest entries showcase post-mining opportunities401 Views
- Loader operator dies after sand avalanche at Massachusetts sand and gravel company378 Views
- The final Waters of the U.S. rule has been released to the Federal Register370 Views