ARTBA: Gas tax increase removes roadblocks
The American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) President and CEO Pete Ruane has released a statement regarding a report issued by members of the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform and the recommendation to dedicate a 15-cents-per-gallon gas tax increase to transportation funding.
The statement, released Dec. 1, follows:
“The recommendation by Sen. Simpson and Mr. Bowles to increase the federal gas tax is a small, yet essential, action necessary to help put the nation’s economy back on solid footing for the future. This new revenue should be viewed as a critical investment that will not only put thousands of Americans back to work in the short term, but will also increase U.S. productivity and make our economy more competitive. The Simpson-Bowles recommendation is fiscally responsible. It will ensure that the federal surface transportation program has sustainable funding and remains deficit neutral.
“This recommendation would remove the roadblock that has delayed a multi-year reauthorization of the federal highway and transit programs for more than a year.
“ARTBA’s more than 5,000 members support the report and its recommendations when it comes up for a vote on Dec. 3.”
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- U.S. Concrete purchases a New Jersey aggregate operation388 Views
- Southwest Rock Products' Queen Creek plant wins Top Operations contest371 Views
- Thieves derail train in Mexico to steal 70 tons of cement340 Views
- MSHA gives out $8.4 million to 47 states for mine safety and health training334 Views
- Four contractors compete for $1.1 billion I-285/GA 400 interchange project in Atlanta292 Views