ARTBA on Speaker John Boehner’s opinions on gas prices, jobs
American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) Spokesman Matt Jeanneret issued the following statement in response to comments from Speaker John Boehner about gas prices and jobs.
“Speaker Boehner wins the ‘Pothole of the Week’ award. His statement today [May 25] blasting a long-time transportation leader in Congress for suggesting it might be time after 18 years to consider a small increase in the federal gas tax to pay for highway and mass transit improvements — saying it would be a ‘job destroyer’ — is hypocritical.
“The House passed FY 2012 Ryan budget resolution would cut federal transportation investment next year by 30 percent, including up to a $14 billion cut in aid to the states for highway improvements. That would be a guaranteed job killer in the construction industry that’s already struggling with 17 percent unemployment.
“If the Speaker wants to protect jobs — and maybe even create some new ones — he should lead the charge in passing the 20-month delayed highway and transit bill.”
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface top hammer drill rigs all feature a revolving…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- VIDEO: World conference discusses Lafarge-Holcim merger452 Views
- Controversial quarry granted permit by Indiana Department of Natural Resources438 Views
- PHOTOS: Reclamation photo contest entries showcase post-mining opportunities393 Views
- The final Waters of the U.S. rule has been released to the Federal Register367 Views
- Atlanta turning quarry into one of America's largest reservoirs366 Views