Azusa wins legal battle over mine
The protracted fight between the cities of Duarte and Azusa, Calif., may be nearing an end as the second appellate district court affirmed the Los Angeles Superior Court’s decision against the city of Duarte, the San Gabriel Valley Tribune reports.
Duarte had claimed — among other things — that the Azusa Rock Quarry‘s mining plan had a faulty environmental report, but the courts rejected that contention. The court also ruled that Azusa would be awarded legal costs incurred in fighting Duarte’s lawsuit.
Brian Ferris, vice president and general counsel for Vulcan Materials Co., told the newspaper that the legal decision validates the process by which the Azusa City Council evaluated and approved the revised conditional-use permit, reclamation plan, and development agreement between the city and Vulcan.
Duarte Mayor Margaret Finlay said the Duarte City Council will meet next week in a closed session to discuss the ruling and “what comes next.” The city has the option of appealing the verdict to the state supreme court.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers294 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger142 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park142 Views