Between a Hard Place and a Rock
* After nine years, Buffalo Crushed Stone is still trying to expand its operation in the Cheektowaga, N.Y.
* In July 2007, a Florida judge shut down operations owned by Florida Rock, Tarmac, and White Rock Quarries. The Lake Belt operations produce a combined tonnage of approximately 55 million tons per year and those shutdowns are likely to reduce state-wide production by 30 to 40 percent.
* In late July 2007, Granite Construction – working with its partner, Palomar Aggregates – won a legal battle to mine a greenfield site in North County, California. As part of that 20-year approval process, the partners will pay for the construction of a $26 million roadway to mitigate major development around the mine.
* In August 2007, Aggregate Industries opted to sue Alamo Township, Mich., for the right to operate a sand and gravel operation. It claimed that the township’s ordinance regulating gravel mines is unconstitutional.
* In early October2007, Kaweah River Rock, based in Tulare County, California, received court approval to proceed with mining after 21 years of hard work in the face of opposition from environmental groups.
So although the cost of permitting may not be as bad as legends tell, permitting difficulties are likely to continue. They will also impact the long-term health of all companies. That fact was underscored in late September, when Don James, chairman and CEO of Vulcan Materials Co., told security analysts,”Where it is possible, we work very hard to secure new greenfield sites. That is increasingly difficult, increasingly expensive, increasingly long term.”
In short supply
There is a shortage now 23.9%
Will be in 5 years 36.3%
Will be in 10 years 37.4%
No shortage 2.4%
caption: Percentage of aggregate producers who believe there is or will be a shortage of aggregates in their market.
Source: Aggregates Manager Permitting Survey
Less than 6 months 27.1%
6 months to 1 year 28.1%
1 to 3 years 22.6%
4 to 5 years 10.1%
6 to 10 years 3.5%
More than 10 years 8.5%
caption: Length of time respondents have been involved in their current permitting effort.
Want to know what restriction helped bring about a permit? Here is the breakdown of restrictions included on permits our respondents were able to obtain.