Bluegrass takes over the Boulder Dash
Hats off to Bluegrass Materials Company. In January, Bluegrass bought a quarry in Cumming, Georgia, from Lafarge, and is now continuing to hold its annual Spring Fling.
According to Forsythenews.com, the Spring Fling festival features food, music, and children’s activities. The highlight, however, is the very popular Boulder Dash 5K, which takes runners through the operation. In the past, the course has taken runners down the entry road to the scale house, circled stockpiles, taken runners under the conveyors and back out of the quarry. The inaugural event was held in 2010, as reported in Aggregates Manager.
Runners can register in advance for $30 or on the day of the race for $35. Last year, approximately 1,000 people ran the race. Proceeds will benefit Envision a Fit Forsyth, which supports the community parks and recreation program.
The winners in both the men’s and women’s categories get to commemorate their wins in an appropriate fashion–by placing their feet in concrete.
While the event certainly raises money for a good cause, including more than $36,000 in its inaugural year, it also brings hundreds of community residents into the operation to see what a quarry actually looks like.
Bluegrass is getting off on the right foot in Cummings by maintaining this great community relations initiative.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggregates Insider
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers294 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger142 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park142 Views