Boy Scouts of America launches Mining in Society merit badge
SME led the development of the new merit badge, which the society says “aligns with SME’s commitment to foster understanding about the positive impact mining and minerals make on the American quality of life.”
Eagle Scout Bryan Wendell, editor of Scouting and Eagles’ Call magazines, previewed the badge on his Bryan on Scouting blog in July. There, he discussed the purpose of the badge.
“The merit badge will cover the history of mining, explore the status of mining in the 21st century, introduce Scouts to modern mining careers and explore the all-important topic of mining safety,” Wendell wrote.
On Feb. 3, Wendell offered information about the first two requirements for the badge. In order to earn the Mining in Society merit badge, scouts will have to show their knowledge about 10 minerals and how they are used, how mining impacts production and processing of agricultural products, where different minerals are mined, identify local surface and underground operations and more.
The badge will be released Feb. 24 during SME’s 2014 Annual Meeting and Exhibit. SME says commemorative activities will include a BSA flag ceremony to open the keynote session and a BSA booth on the exhibit floor.
The first Mining in Society merit badges will be awarded at the SME awards dinner on Feb. 26.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- MSHA issues citations to five metal/non-metal mines during impact inspections in February423 Views
- Holcim shareholders threaten merger plans with Lafarge…again254 Views
- California woman killed when gravel truck tips over on her car208 Views
- Caterpillar intros 735C, 740C EJ, 745C articulated trucks with bevy of powertrain improvements (PHOTOS)163 Views
- Senate rejects amendment seeking to fund infrastructure by closing corporate tax loophole152 Views