CA, PA contractors awarded for safety
Two transportation construction industry firms in California and one in Pennsylvania were recognized Oct. 4 for their outstanding worker safety programs during the 2010 American Road & Transportation Builders Association (ARTBA) National Convention in held in New York City. Winning firms were the top honorees of the ARTBA-Transportation Development Foundation/CNA “Contractor Safety Awards.”
CNA, a leading national insurance firm, and the ARTBA Foundation, developed the program to promote worker safety and health as core values of the transportation design and construction industry. Award winners demonstrated a low “OSHA Recordable Rate” as measured against benchmark metrics established by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Eight finalists were selected based on their achievements as evidenced by recordable rates below the industry average.
Representatives from finalist companies were invited to make a presentation before a panel of industry professionals who judged programs based on corporate safety culture, operational safety plans and worker training programs.
Awards were presented in three categories, based on the number of employee hours worked during the previous year: 1,000,001 or more; 500,001-1,000,000; and 500,000 or fewer:
• 500,000 or fewer hours: Brutoco Engineering and Construction, Inc., Fontana, Calif.;
• 500,001 to 1,000,000 hours: G.A. & F.C. Wagman, Inc., York, Pa.;
• More than 1 million hours: Granite Construction Co., Watsonville, Calif.
“Safety on the job site is an essential element in long-term business success — especially in the transportation construction industry,” said Brad Sant, ARTBA vice president for safety and education. “This award honors those firms who have demonstrated industry-leading programs as evidence of their commitment to employee and workplace safety.”
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- What to expect at the 2014 ConExpo-Con/Agg show258 Views
- Follow these best practices for safe crushing operations254 Views
- 25 Days of RollOuts: Atlas Copco’s bucket crushers243 Views
- Komatsu's WA1200-6 wheel loader offers more horsepower, lower costs185 Views
- 25 Days of RollOuts: Caterpillar’s 988K wheel loader177 Views