California quarry stops fill removal after permit is revoked
A California quarry was ordered to stop fill removal last month, nine days after it began, according to a report from The Willits News.
The Mendocino County Planning and Building Services Department ordered Mendocino Forest Products to stop work at its Apache mill site in Willits, California. The company stopped removal of fill on August 28.
In July, Mendocino County Planning issued the quarry a permit to remove 883,950 cubic yards of fill dirt from the 53-acre site to an unspecified location. However, the department did not conduct a California Environmental Quality Act review or require Mendocino Forest Products to obtain a permit required by the Surface Mining and Reclamation Act.
Due to the shutdown, the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is now transporting fill dirt from the site. Caltrans spokesman Phil Frisbie said the agency tested the dirt for contamination before transportation began.
Before it can begin work again, the company will have to provide three sets of plans that show what work has been done and what erosion control is needed.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Rock and Bowl: Graniterock helps make the Super Bowl a success630 Views
- Aggregates industry leader Bob Bartlett dies497 Views
- Obama says now is time to raise gas tax with oil prices plummeting460 Views
- Miner seriously injured after articulated haul truck overturned456 Views
- LafargeHolcim is considering selling Lafarge India280 Views