California receives $136 million in redistributed federal transportation funds
The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) has redistributed $136 million in funding to California, Caltrans announced Oct. 2. The funding was originally allocated to other states, but was not spent, and because California successfully demonstrated that it can deliver transportation projects, the state will benefit, according to Caltrans.
“This funding will not only help pay for projects that relieve the traffic congestion that clogs our freeways – it will create jobs and help stimulate California’s economy,” said Caltrans Director Malcolm Dougherty in a press release.
Caltrans and regional agencies worked together and allocated $83 million of the funding to 17 Caltrans projects. Regional and local projects received $53 million, which was distributed to eight regions: Butte, Orange, Sacramento, San Diego, the Bay Area, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Imperial. These regions were selected because they were ahead of schedule in project delivery and can put the money to use immediately.
Each year, the FHWA redistributes unspent federal funding. This year, $1.4 billion was handed out nationwide, and California’s share was by far the largest.
For information about the Caltrans projects that collected funding, please see the attached file. The list of local and regional projects is expected to be finalized by mid-October.
From our partners
Developing a solid relationship with Demolition Technologies Specialized Services enables Crushing Tigers and Sandvik Construction to impact the demolition and…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Caterpillar closes headquarters of global mining division, moves jobs to different facility916 Views
- Metal and nonmetal mines get a total of 61 citations during August MSHA inspections453 Views
- Southwest Rock Products' Queen Creek plant wins Top Operations contest390 Views
- Hanson Building Products acquires Minnesota concrete company377 Views
- Frac sand 101: What does it take to enter the high-value frac sand market and what does it mean for aggregate producers?312 Views