Caterpillar to close Virginia mining equipment plant
Caterpillar has announced that it will close its Pulaski, Virginia, plant by mid-2014, according to a report from our sister site, Equipment World.
The plant manufactures mining equipment. The closure will result in 240 layoffs.
This is not the first Caterpillar mining equipment plant to experience layoffs this year. The company has cut 13,000 jobs, amounting to 10 percent of its global workforce, in the last year.
Caterpillar previously announced a combined total of more than 3,000 layoffs from its plants in Kilgore, Texas; South Milwauke, Wisconsin; Decatur, Illinois; Beckley, West Virginia; Tazewell, Virginia; and Sudbury, Ontario; as well as its Large Engine Center in Layfayette, Indiana; its Toronto tunnel-boring machine facility; its South Carolina remanufacturing plant; and its Belgian excavator plant this year.
Both the Kilgore plant and the Toronto tunnel-boring machine facility closed earlier this year, though the company announced in September that some production from the Kilgore plant would be relocated to the South Milwaukee plant.
Equipment World’s report notes that the shutdowns and layoffs are likely related to a “decrease in demand for mining equipment.”
For more details, read the full report at EquipmentWorld.com.
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface top hammer drill rigs all feature a revolving…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- House of Representatives passes bill blocking EPA's new Waters of the U.S. rule398 Views
- The Labor Department is auditing MSHA for allegedly failing to collect penalty fines389 Views
- Cat introduces larger sizes of its Tier 4 Final articulated trucks358 Views
- Lafarge CEO awarded $2.78 million bonus for 'key role' in merger341 Views
- Caterpillar intros 336F L XE hybrid excavator: smart pumps, boom work faster, burn less fuel (PHOTOS)312 Views