Caterpillar to close Virginia mining equipment plant
Caterpillar has announced that it will close its Pulaski, Virginia, plant by mid-2014, according to a report from our sister site, Equipment World.
The plant manufactures mining equipment. The closure will result in 240 layoffs.
This is not the first Caterpillar mining equipment plant to experience layoffs this year. The company has cut 13,000 jobs, amounting to 10 percent of its global workforce, in the last year.
Caterpillar previously announced a combined total of more than 3,000 layoffs from its plants in Kilgore, Texas; South Milwauke, Wisconsin; Decatur, Illinois; Beckley, West Virginia; Tazewell, Virginia; and Sudbury, Ontario; as well as its Large Engine Center in Layfayette, Indiana; its Toronto tunnel-boring machine facility; its South Carolina remanufacturing plant; and its Belgian excavator plant this year.
Both the Kilgore plant and the Toronto tunnel-boring machine facility closed earlier this year, though the company announced in September that some production from the Kilgore plant would be relocated to the South Milwaukee plant.
Equipment World’s report notes that the shutdowns and layoffs are likely related to a “decrease in demand for mining equipment.”
For more details, read the full report at EquipmentWorld.com.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support179 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park163 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger148 Views
- Missouri man arrested for burglary of quarry and gun range113 Views