Circle the trucks
Back in 2007, I made a visit to Hanson’s Bridgeport Quarry (now Lehigh Hanson), which is located about a stone’s throw (literally) from Chico, Texas. It was only the second time I had visited an aggregates plant, as I was then working full-time on Better Roads, a sister magazine, and only writing for Aggregates Manager occasionally.
Hanson had just upgraded the entire quarry operation. It was considered to be the most highly automated plant of that time and was on everyone’s radar scope. Producers across the country were watching to see if Hanson’s big investment would pay off.
I was ushered around the quarry and processing plant and shown all the new, high-tech automation equipment that had been installed. I must say, it was a thoroughly impressive operation, but one thing really made me do a double-take — and made me chuckle. It looked like someone had yelled “circle the trucks.”
It was lunchtime at the quarry, and everything had come to a stop. In this picture, you can see how the haul trucks, some empty and some full, had circled up at the ‘watering hole’ to chow down. The small building where everyone was having lunch was completely dwarfed by the huge haul trucks.
Come on, am I the only one thinking that it looks like that poor little guy is about to get trounced by the big guys? I guess you had to be there…
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface…
MORE FROM Aggregates Insider
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- California woman killed when gravel truck tips over on her car198 Views
- Northern White Sand considers building a rail unloading facility in Carlsbad162 Views
- Senate rejects amendment seeking to fund infrastructure by closing corporate tax loophole147 Views
- DRIVE Act aims to support Highway Trust Fund by limiting spending to roads and bridges129 Views
- Wisconsin sand hauling company to lay off workers due to decreased frac sand demand125 Views