Commissioners in Kansas reject producer’s new permit request
Commissioners in Shawnee County, Kansas, voted unanimously on Monday to reject a request from Kansas Sand and Concrete to make changes to its permit that would allow for more truck traffic per day, according to Topeka’s WIBW.
The permit currently allows the company to haul 35 trips of sand and gravel each weekday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. with a limit of 9,100 trips per year.
Kansas Sand and Concrete requested elimination of the daily limit and proposed the annual limit and the working hours remain.
Barry Beagle, planning director for Shawnee County, said the company wants to remove the daily trip limit so it can meet higher demands for sand and gravel.
“Based on the increased demand for sand, Kansas Sand is seeking greater flexibility in the current vehicle trips per day limitations to account for seasonal fluctuations in demand,” Beagle said.
Residents who oppose the change have expressed concerns about safety.
Commissioners also cited safety concerns when they disapproved of the proposal in a meeting last month.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers294 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger144 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park142 Views