Construction industry adds 11,000 jobs in October
The U.S. construction industry gained 11,000 jobs in October, according to a report from our sister site, Equipment World.
The figures come from data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which show that, despite predictions that the 16-day government shutdown that occurred last month would result in fewer jobs, the industry added just more than half of September’s 18,000-job gain.
The industry currently employs 5.834 million Americans, which is 3 percent higher than a year ago and is the highest number employed since August 2009, when 5.851 million were employed..
Unemployment in construction rose from 8.5 percent in September to 9.0 percent in October.
The U.S. saw a gain of 204,000 jobs in all industries in October.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- VIDEO: Caterpillar builds world’s tallest sand castle, then destroys it 884 Views
- Sand saves a construction worker's life463 Views
- Last second Christmas gift ideas for construction workers213 Views
- Martin Marietta gives thousands to charity during the holidays188 Views
- Congress passes $1.1 trillion spending bill; cuts billions from federal construction accounts164 Views