Construction industry loses 16k jobs in December
The U.S. construction industry lost 16,000 jobs in December, according to data released Friday by the Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The loss pushed the industry from 5.849 million jobs in November (revised from 5.851 million) to 5.833 million jobs in December.
Total construction employment in December is 2 percent higher than in December 2012.
Unemployment in construction jumped from 8.6 percent in November to 11.4 percent in December.
The U.S. as a whole saw a gain of just 74,000 jobs in all industries in December, while the total unemployment rate dropped from 7.0 percent in November to 6.7 percent in December.
For more information about U.S. employment in December, view the full report here.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Vulcan Materials names new president and CEO724 Views
- Safety alert: Bright future cut short after drowning500 Views
- 3-year-old takes a turn as quarry foreman402 Views
- Bluff Spring Fen: Rare collaboration awarded for gorgeous restoration274 Views
- Lawsuit filed against directors of Martin Marietta260 Views