Construction industry loses 16k jobs in December
The U.S. construction industry lost 16,000 jobs in December, according to data released Friday by the Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The loss pushed the industry from 5.849 million jobs in November (revised from 5.851 million) to 5.833 million jobs in December.
Total construction employment in December is 2 percent higher than in December 2012.
Unemployment in construction jumped from 8.6 percent in November to 11.4 percent in December.
The U.S. as a whole saw a gain of just 74,000 jobs in all industries in December, while the total unemployment rate dropped from 7.0 percent in November to 6.7 percent in December.
For more information about U.S. employment in December, view the full report here.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Mike Rowe talks about the dirty topic of educating future workers428 Views
- McLanahan Rolls Out Four Key Products226 Views
- Rod Martin receives AggMan of the Year 2013 Award198 Views
- MSHA Assistant Secretary of Labor Main updates NSSGA on recent agency actions194 Views
- NSSGA debuts its new strategic plan172 Views