‘Construction industry recovery still two years away’
During a national online news conference June 8, Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) Chief Economist Anirban Basu said that the nation’s construction industry recovery may be two years away.
“From what we’ve seen so far in 2011, non-residential construction will likely be further delayed,” said Basu. “Right now, what will happen in 2012 remains unclear.
“Officially, the country is in a period of economic recovery,” Basu said. “Unfortunately, this does not mean that all segments of the economy are doing well. No sector of the economy has been hit harder than the construction industry.
“Employment in the construction industry has expanded over the past four months,” said Basu. However, I do not expect significant construction employment in the months ahead. The economy has hit a soft spot and the construction job picture is flat.
“Segments of the construction industry that will likely experience growth in the coming 10 to 12 months will be healthcare, which is the construction of hospitals, health centers and clinics, and the natural resources sector, which is in reaction to the growing cost of energy,” Basu said.
Basu was joined by National Association of Homebuilders’ Chief Economist David Crowe and American Institute of Architects’ Chief Economist Kermit Baker.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support179 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park161 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger148 Views
- NSSGA wants everyone to ask their representative to co-sponsor the Regulatory Integrity Protection Act (H.R. 1732) to stop proposed Waters of the U.S. rule127 Views