Update on experienced plant manager killed at Murray Mines
Several days ago Aggregates Manager reported the death of Kyle Martin at Murray Mines in South Carolina. Below we have updated the story with more information on the victim and the accident.
28-year-old Kyle Martin, assistant plant manager at Murray Mines, was killed after being electrocuted. The victim, who had 11 years of mining experience, was riding in an aluminum boat that became stuck in low water on top of 480 volt energized power conductors.
When attempting to pull slack on the power conductors, he fell into the water after being electrocuted.
Co-workers pulled him from the water and tried to perform CPR. Paramedics had to use a volunteer firefighter’s 4×4 pickup truck because the ambulance was unable to get to the area.
When paramedics arrived, resuscitative efforts continued while the victim was driven to the ambulance, and during the 24-minute drive to the nearest hospital. He did not survive.
In response to the tragedy, MSHA has released the following safety practices:
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures before beginning work. Identify and control all hazards associated with the work to be performed and use methods to properly protect persons.
- Train all persons to understand the hazards associated with working near energized electrical conductors.
- De-energize power and ensure that the circuit is visibly open before working near energized conductors that may have damaged insulation.
- Lock and Tag! Place YOUR lock and tag on the disconnecting device.
- Use properly rated Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including Arc Flash Protection such as a hood, gloves, shirt, and pants.
- Ensure electrical conductors are properly rated and designed for the applications used.
- Ensure that ground fault protection is provided to protect persons
- Ensure that all electrical systems are safely designed and properly installed.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- MSHA issues citations to five metal/non-metal mines during impact inspections in February357 Views
- California woman killed when gravel truck tips over on her car208 Views
- Senate rejects amendment seeking to fund infrastructure by closing corporate tax loophole152 Views
- Wisconsin sand hauling company to lay off workers due to decreased frac sand demand128 Views
- DRIVE Act aims to support Highway Trust Fund by limiting spending to roads and bridges126 Views