FHWA chooses CH2M Hill in sustainable highway project
CH2M HILL, an industry leader in sustainability services for transportation, water, energy, and climate change, was recently selected by the U.S. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) to lead a team in the identification of the characteristics of a sustainable highway, and to develop tools, procedures and techniques that can be incorporated into a standard practice to make highways more sustainable.
In defining the statement of work for the project, the FHWA noted that principles of sustainability are used in many other building and construction industries to demonstrate commitments to environmental goals and cost savings.
However, these principles are not widely understood or used in transportation project development and implementation. In light of these gaps, FHWA has taken the lead to develop a sustainable highway initiative that will inform the actions of the state Departments of Transportation, metropolitan planning organizations and other transportation stakeholders.
CH2M HILL will be supported in this work by the University of Washington, the Texas Transportation Institute, High Street Consulting, WebKey and Pavia Systems. The fast-track project, which is scheduled to be completed by the fourth quarter of 2010, includes the following tasks:
· Developing preliminary principles and criteria for sustainable highways
· Conducting peer exchanges with stakeholders from the highway industry to obtain input of strategies and criteria for sustainable highways
· Testing and refining the preliminary criteria and principles
· Developing model process, compendium of sustainable practices and self-evaluation tools for sustainable highways
· Identifying innovative strategies and techniques to achieve the principles and criteria of sustainable highways, including innovations from other industries
· Providing outreach and technical assistance
“We are greatly honored to be selected by the FHWA for this landmark sustainability project,” said Mark Lasswell, president of CH2M HILL’s Transportation Business Group. “Sustainability is a core value for CH2M HILL, and we look forward to collaborating with our teaming partners and the FHWA to develop innovative best practices that will drive positive, tangible results for the industry, and the communities where we live and work.”
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest…
MORE FROM Manufacturers News
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- California woman killed when gravel truck tips over on her car184 Views
- Northern White Sand considers building a rail unloading facility in Carlsbad162 Views
- Senate rejects amendment seeking to fund infrastructure by closing corporate tax loophole134 Views
- DRIVE Act aims to support Highway Trust Fund by limiting spending to roads and bridges126 Views
- Wisconsin sand hauling company to lay off workers due to decreased frac sand demand124 Views