Firefighters rushed to quarry in N.C.
Firefighters rushed to a quarry in North Carolina after heavy black smoke was seen in the area. A large hydraulic drilling machine overheated and caught on fire.
Flames quickly got out of control.
The machine was 200 feet down at the bottom of the quarry making it hard for crews to battle the blaze. The Rocky Mount Fire Department had to dispatch Ending Co. 5 to the scene because more water was needed.
“Something mechanical went wrong with it that caused it to ignite,” said Rocky Mount Battalion Chief Jamie Vaughan. “We responded as a mutual aid department – we just assisted.”
Luckily no injuries were reported.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Quarry explosion damages homes and cars and injures one person1006 Views
- Lafarge CEO awarded $2.78 million bonus for 'key role' in merger396 Views
- Caterpillar intros 336F L XE hybrid excavator: smart pumps, boom work faster, burn less fuel (PHOTOS)345 Views
- Vulcan Materials conducts blast for the 'Mayan steps' restoration298 Views
- Lafarge, Holcim announce job cuts ahead of merger242 Views