Florida’s budget calls for big infrastructure investment
The state’s proposed $9.1 billion budget includes plans for an 11-percent increase in transportation spending as the state tries to increase jobs, build more roads, and get the state’s ports ready for the Panama Canal expansion.
According to the Bradenton Herald, projects include $532 million of additional lanes on Interstate 75; $154 million to add lanes and reconstruct the Homestead extension of the Florida Turnpike; $69 million to add lanes on the Veterans Expressway in Hillsborough County; $27 million for the expansion of Bruce B. Downs Boulevard; and $25 million to add lanes and reconstruct State Road 823.
Ports also benefit from the budget with Miami slated for $30.6 million, Tampa for $26.7 million, Manatee for $19.5, and nearly $100 million for other ports in the state.
“The construction industry was the most hurt by the recession,” Rep. Ed Hooper, chair of the House transportation appropriations committee, told the newspaper. “So the industry will only be helped by more spending.”
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers294 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger144 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park142 Views