Freight shipments rise 0.4% in August
The amount of freight that the for-hire transportation industry carried rose 0.4 percent in August, according to recent data from the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (USDOT) Bureau of Transportation Statistics (BTS).
The data, from this month’s BTS Freight Transportation Services Index (TSI), measures the month-to-month changes in freight shipments according to mode of transportation. The rise in these figures follows an increase in freight shipments in July.
USDOT attributes the increase in freight transportation to shipments within the housing, autos and energy sectors.
The 114.8 index in August follows July’s 114.3 index. August’s level of freight shipments is 21.0 percent higher than the April 2009 low and 0.3 percent lower than the all-time high of 115.2 in December 2011.
The August 2013 Freight TSI is up 3.4 percent year-over-year.
For more information and charts about the August 2013 Freight TSI, visit rita.dot.gov.
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support179 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park163 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger148 Views
- Missouri man arrested for burglary of quarry and gun range113 Views