Georgia DOT’s Vance Smith named to national post
Georgia Transportation Commissioner Vance C. Smith Jr. has been appointed chairman of the Standing Committee on Public Transportation of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO).
The Committee is responsible for development of AASHTO standards and policies for public transportation programs related to urban and rural mass transit, commuter rail, intercity bus, ridesharing, para-transit, and specialized transit facilities for the elderly and handicapped. Commissioner Smith will serve as its chairman for the next two years.
“I’m honored,” he commented. “This is an important committee dealing on a national level with many of the same issues we have in Georgia. So many of its topics are our topics – effective urban and rural transit development; shared-use commuter, intercity and freight rail operations; bus rapid transit. In addition to sharing Georgia’s experiences with my counterparts from around the nation, I hope to bring home effective strategies and lessons learned from their previous difficulties and their many successes.”
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Manufacturers News
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- VIDEO: Caterpillar builds world’s tallest sand castle, then destroys it 897 Views
- Sand saves a construction worker's life491 Views
- Last second Christmas gift ideas for construction workers279 Views
- Congress passes $1.1 trillion spending bill; cuts billions from federal construction accounts167 Views
- Get operations off to a good start with sound mine planning157 Views