Georgia DOT’s Vance Smith named to national post
Georgia Transportation Commissioner Vance C. Smith Jr. has been appointed chairman of the Standing Committee on Public Transportation of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO).
The Committee is responsible for development of AASHTO standards and policies for public transportation programs related to urban and rural mass transit, commuter rail, intercity bus, ridesharing, para-transit, and specialized transit facilities for the elderly and handicapped. Commissioner Smith will serve as its chairman for the next two years.
“I’m honored,” he commented. “This is an important committee dealing on a national level with many of the same issues we have in Georgia. So many of its topics are our topics – effective urban and rural transit development; shared-use commuter, intercity and freight rail operations; bus rapid transit. In addition to sharing Georgia’s experiences with my counterparts from around the nation, I hope to bring home effective strategies and lessons learned from their previous difficulties and their many successes.”
From our partners
MORE FROM Manufacturers News
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS, VIDEO: Take a virtual tour of Unimin's underground operation in Guion, Ark.2378 Views
- Quarry blast leaves huge holes in nearby home648 Views
- When gravel doesn't bond with resurfacing substance...565 Views
- How to become a more productive worker310 Views
- Sneak peek: Inside Unimin's safety strategies309 Views