Georgia DOT’s Vance Smith named to national post
Georgia Transportation Commissioner Vance C. Smith Jr. has been appointed chairman of the Standing Committee on Public Transportation of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO).
The Committee is responsible for development of AASHTO standards and policies for public transportation programs related to urban and rural mass transit, commuter rail, intercity bus, ridesharing, para-transit, and specialized transit facilities for the elderly and handicapped. Commissioner Smith will serve as its chairman for the next two years.
“I’m honored,” he commented. “This is an important committee dealing on a national level with many of the same issues we have in Georgia. So many of its topics are our topics – effective urban and rural transit development; shared-use commuter, intercity and freight rail operations; bus rapid transit. In addition to sharing Georgia’s experiences with my counterparts from around the nation, I hope to bring home effective strategies and lessons learned from their previous difficulties and their many successes.”
From our partners
MORE FROM Manufacturers News
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Caterpillar unveils new 3-tower HQ campus spanning 6 city blocks in Peoria (VIDEO)1535 Views
- Martin Marietta sees business results soar412 Views
- Hamm, Inc. receives reclamation award344 Views
- Brad Powell named IMAA 2014 “Miner of the Year”247 Views
- Man dies in silo accident at Texas concrete plant216 Views