Get More From Your Machines
Equipment at Tower Rock Stone Co.’s quarry in Ste. Genevieve, Missouri, goes the distance. On any given day, four primary crushers, fed by up to 17 different ledges, create the site’s more than 130 different products.
Despite the heavy production load, the site is renowned for the longevity of its machines. It has wheel loaders dating back to Cat’s B series loaders and has one wheel loader with 154,000 hours on it.
To keep the machines so well maintained, Tower Rock uses several strategies:
The same driver operates a piece of equipment on a daily basis. As a two-shift operation, that means only two drivers regularly operate any piece of equipment.
Between shifts, a 45-minute break allows the loader to be inspected and greased on a daily basis.
Every 250 hours, the oil is changed.
Every 4,000 hours, equipment goes through a thorough inspection.
“We don’t play musical chairs,” says Ronnie Inman, general manager, “And, we religiously change oil every 250 hours on 70-some units.”
Caterpillar does field follows on new machines at the site, and Tower Rock has logged about 4,700 hours on Cat’s Tier 4 Final 988K wheel loader.
Watch the loader in action in the video below.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining advanced materials technology, with skillful design focusing on…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Reclamation photo contest entries showcase post-mining opportunities542 Views
- Loader operator dies after sand avalanche at Massachusetts sand and gravel company420 Views
- Location is key for Dolese Bros. Co.'s Davis Quarry414 Views
- A total of 27 states have sued the Obama administration over the new EPA water rule381 Views
- Fireworks are being blamed for a fire at a Montana quarry227 Views