Goodyear closes Tennessee plant
The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. on July 11 publicly announced that it has ceased production at its tire manufacturing facility in Union City, Tenn.
On Feb. 10, Goodyear had announced its intention to close the plant by the end of 2011.
“When we announced our intention to close the plant, we expected the shutdown would occur by year-end,” said Chairman and CEO Richard J. Kramer in a written statement. “Since then, the product transfers to the other Goodyear plants have been completed more quickly than expected. We are now able to meet the needs of our consumer tire customers without further production in Union City.”
This action is consistent with plans outlined at the company’s investor meeting earlier this year.
As a result of the accelerated closure and payments to nearly 1,800 associates under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, Goodyear expects to record additional after-tax charges of about $20 million. The majority of these additional charges will be recorded in the second quarter of 2011.
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: Hlavinka Equipment opens Texas Hlavinda JCB division; Terex Washing Systems appoints new global sales director; Skelly and Loy promotes Aungst to VP of AMS; Luff Industries adds Riddell as territory manager; Caterpillar opens first Data Innovation Lab; Yokohama Tire Corp. will help build eco-friendly playground
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Vulcan Materials to meet August deadline for restoring eastern hillside of Azusa rock quarry476 Views
- MSHA issues serious non-fatal accident alert, best practices in response to water truck accident452 Views
- MSHA Fatality Review Committee determines several fatalities are chargeable to the mining industry321 Views
- Excavator explodes into flames after engine malfunction on New York jobsite (VIDEO)280 Views
- Eric Olsen appointed future CEO of Lafarge Holcim merger254 Views