Granite Construction wins $126 million Folsom Dam project in California
Watsonville, Calif.-based Granite Construction Co. has been awarded a $126 million contract by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) to build a new auxiliary spillway control structure for the Folsom Dam, located 20 miles northeast of Sacramento.
The USACE has teamed up with the dam’s current owner and operator, the Bureau of Reclamation, to perform several upgrades to the dam and reduce the region’s flood risk. Granite will book the project into backlog during the third quarter of 2010.
Granite will be performing extensive excavation and concrete work while installing six submerged tainter gates, a type of radial arm floodgate commonly used in dams and canal locks to control water flow. Once completed, the new control structure will allow dam operators to more safely release water through the spillway during large storms to reduce the risk of potential flooding to surrounding areas.
Construction is scheduled to begin in January 2011 and will take about 45 months to complete, according to Granite.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers293 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger142 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park142 Views