Hall Quarry residents appeal quarry decision
Some residents living near a granite quarry in the village of Hall Quarry in Mount Desert, Maine, are appealing a decision by the town’s code enforcement officer to not order an end to quarrying at the site, Fenceviewer reported.
Harold MacQuinn, Inc., owns the six-acre quarry site and leases it to Freshwater Stone & Brick, Inc.
Nearby residents Peter and Judy Aylen and Gerald and Laurie Shencavitz said quarrying did not take place for more than 20 years until 2011, and the company only extracted small amounts of stone on occasion.
The two couples argue the company’s sporadic quarrying does not constitute continuous use and violates the section of the town’s land use zoning ordinance that states property “on which a non-conforming use is discontinued for a period exceeding one year…may not again be devoted to a non-conforming use…”
The town’s zoning board of appeals is scheduled to hear the appeal on May 30.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support179 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park163 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger148 Views
- Missouri man arrested for burglary of quarry and gun range113 Views