Health and Safety Specialist II
Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets on four continents, with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold and molybdenum. As a core value, we pledge to continuously improve in meeting our commitment to work in the most safe, inclusive, environmentally and socially responsible manner practicable. Safety and health initiatives, both on and off the job, are a critically important investment in our employees.
We offer outstanding opportunities for individuals seeking a challenging, exciting and rewarding work environment for a company that supplies the world with metals that will sustain and expand economies and build infrastructure in developing nations. A world of opportunities is available to individuals who share in our commitments.
Assist in the development, coordinate and execute health and safety programs and procedures under the compliance of applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- Represent Site Management during MSHA/OSHA/State Mine Inspectors, document regulated field activities, communicate company positions on potential violations, and address pertinent issues in the field to accommodate regulatory requirements.
- Performs difficult and complex health and safety audits and inspections.
- Assist management in the development of health and safety procedures based on regulatory and/or client requirements.
- Use and interpret applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, statues, regulations, rules, policies and procedures to support Safe Production.
- Assists in responding to inquiries or complaints from clients, regulatory agencies and/or community groups.
- Conducts Safety Training venues, including specialized safety training (e.g., confined space, LOTOTO) and Annual Refresher Training as required. Develop new safety training programs as required.
- Handles special projects as assigned
- High School diploma or GED and seven (7) years experience, OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Health & Safety or a related field and three (3) years experience, OR
- Master’s degree in a related field and one (1) year of experience
- Thorough understanding of compulsory health and safety regulations, the regulatory process, company guidelines, and policies and consensus standards for health and safety
- Proficient use of analytical skills to assess risks in field situations or through data analysis and develop recommendations to support risk management continuous improvement efforts
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Combined OSHA and MSHA experience
- Work is in a mine or manufacturing plant setting, which may include exposure to extremes in temperature and humidity, moving mechanical parts, risk of electrical shock, toxic chemicals, explosives, fumes or airborne particles
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, sit, demonstrate manual dexterity, climb stairs and ladders, work on elevated platforms, talk, hear and see
- Occasionally may be required to lift moderately heavy objects up to fifty (50) pounds during the course of the workday
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, or manufacturing plant environment, including hard hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required
- Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold promotes a drug/ alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable state laws
Job Health & Safety
Primary Location US-AZ-Miami Mine/Smelter
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest crusher in a market-leading series. The all new…
MORE FROM Classifieds
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- A set of dinosaur footprints were found in a German quarry612 Views
- A Game of Stones: Quarry set location of 'The Wall' in HBO show could become a permanent attraction516 Views
- A miner was seriously injured after a metal walkway gave way396 Views
- Summit Materials acquires Utah construction materials company384 Views
- The U.S. saw an increase in construction aggregates in the second quarter372 Views