Hire a hero
As aggregate demand continues its slow climb back to pre-Great Recession levels, many aggregates producers find that increased demand means a need for quality employees.
At CalPortland’s Dupont plant, its relationship with one neighbor helps it fill its ranks. That site is adjacent to Joint Base Lewis McChord, home to both army and air force troops and is the largest base in the Northwest.
“We are very close with some of the medical groups and some of the teams that are operating there that are deployed to Afganistan,” says Bill Larson, CalPortland’s vice president of marketing. When soldiers return home, CalPortland personnel work with them to host cookouts and provide clothing or other necessary supplies. And, as soldiers leave the service, employment opportunities are sometimes available.
“We do focus on hiring returning veterans and people retiring from the service,” Larson explains. “We have found some wonderful people who have joined our ranks after separating from the military service.”
As we celebrate Independence Day, remember the soldiers who help protect that freedom and consider hiring a veteran the next time you have a position to fill.
MORE FROM Aggregates Insider
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- MSHA's top 25 most cited standards at sand and gravel facilities in 20151551 Views
- MSHA's top 25 most cited standards at stone facilities in 20151037 Views
- MSHA issues 95 citations to seven mines during December inspections1011 Views
- Obama proposes $10-per-barrel tax on oil production693 Views
- Stockpile Reports launches bin and bunker measurement for stockpiled materials via iPhone, drone409 Views