Hire a hero
As aggregate demand continues its slow climb back to pre-Great Recession levels, many aggregates producers find that increased demand means a need for quality employees.
At CalPortland’s Dupont plant, its relationship with one neighbor helps it fill its ranks. That site is adjacent to Joint Base Lewis McChord, home to both army and air force troops and is the largest base in the Northwest.
“We are very close with some of the medical groups and some of the teams that are operating there that are deployed to Afganistan,” says Bill Larson, CalPortland’s vice president of marketing. When soldiers return home, CalPortland personnel work with them to host cookouts and provide clothing or other necessary supplies. And, as soldiers leave the service, employment opportunities are sometimes available.
“We do focus on hiring returning veterans and people retiring from the service,” Larson explains. “We have found some wonderful people who have joined our ranks after separating from the military service.”
As we celebrate Independence Day, remember the soldiers who help protect that freedom and consider hiring a veteran the next time you have a position to fill.
From our partners
Developing a solid relationship with Demolition Technologies Specialized Services enables Crushing Tigers and Sandvik Construction to impact the demolition and…
MORE FROM Aggregates Insider
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- MSHA rolls out new Part 50 training program618 Views
- Caterpillar splits with Navistar, will design and build its own vocational trucks in Texas416 Views
- MSHA highlights second quarter metal/non-metal accidents302 Views
- Mummified human remains found at the site of a planned quarry in Indiana277 Views
- Lafarge NA sells $450 million in assets to Summit Materials240 Views