Hire a hero
As aggregate demand continues its slow climb back to pre-Great Recession levels, many aggregates producers find that increased demand means a need for quality employees.
At CalPortland’s Dupont plant, its relationship with one neighbor helps it fill its ranks. That site is adjacent to Joint Base Lewis McChord, home to both army and air force troops and is the largest base in the Northwest.
“We are very close with some of the medical groups and some of the teams that are operating there that are deployed to Afganistan,” says Bill Larson, CalPortland’s vice president of marketing. When soldiers return home, CalPortland personnel work with them to host cookouts and provide clothing or other necessary supplies. And, as soldiers leave the service, employment opportunities are sometimes available.
“We do focus on hiring returning veterans and people retiring from the service,” Larson explains. “We have found some wonderful people who have joined our ranks after separating from the military service.”
As we celebrate Independence Day, remember the soldiers who help protect that freedom and consider hiring a veteran the next time you have a position to fill.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggregates Insider
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- 20-year-old killed at sand and gravel mill923 Views
- Sand portrait highlights aggregate industry's sustainability633 Views
- Rocker Bob Seger rips Wisconsin mine plan in new song [Audio]559 Views
- Vulcan makes several changes to its organizational structure556 Views
- Sand thieves targeting the world's beaches440 Views