Homeowners sue Pasco County Commission over lime rock quarry approval
A group of homeowners is asking a Shady Hills, Florida, judge to reject the Pasco County Commission’s approval of a mediation settlement that would allow a lime rock quarry to operate near their homes, according to the Tampa Bay Times.
Robert J. Howell, Terry Hoppenians and Myles Friedland filed the lawsuit last month, alleging that the mining operation “is not consistent with the existing densities and intensities of both the site and surrounding neighborhood; is not compatible with approved development and development patterns in the area; and does not provide an adequate transition of land uses from mining to single family residential.”
The homeowners filed the lawsuit a month after the commissioners approved a settlement Outlaw Ridge in an effort to prevent a lawsuit. Commissioners had denied the Outlaw Ridge’s request to expand its sand mining operation and blast for lime rock before the company sought relief through mediation.
The settlement gives Outlaw Ridge a 15-year permit with no extensions and creates a $510,000 escrow account to pay for any damages from mining; if there are no damage, the account would pay for neighborhood improvements. The settlement also requires the site be turned into a park, open space or residential housing once the permit ends.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support179 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park163 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger148 Views
- Missouri man arrested for burglary of quarry and gun range113 Views