House Democrats propose $5.5 billion bill for bridge repairs
House Democrats have introduced a bill to spend $5.5 billion on bridge repairs in the United States, our sister site, Better Roads, reported.
The proposed bill–the Strengthen and Fortify Existing Bridges (SAFE Bridges) Act–would affect more than 150,000 structurally deficient bridges.
Congress currently spends about $54 billion each year on transportation projects. However, many transportation advocates say that amount barely maintains the system and is not enough to fund future improvements.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Two teens dead after falling through ice at quarry705 Views
- CRH emerges as frontrunner for Holcim and Lafarge assets453 Views
- Sales manager killed at sand and gravel plant248 Views
- Obama wants 'bipartisan infrastructure plan,' no mention of gas tax hike229 Views
- Responses to Obama's State of the Union address219 Views