House names heads of 12 appropriations subcommittees
The House Republican Steering Committee announced the heads of all 12 appropriations subcommittees.
According to National Stone, Sand & Gravel Association’s (NSSGA) Washington Watch & eDigest report, the new committee is as follows:
- Rep. Tom Latham (Iowa) will take over the gavel on the Transportation, Housing and Urban Development Subcommittee.
- Rep. Hal Rogers (Ky.) was selected as chairman of the full committee in December over term-limited Rep. Jerry Lewis (Calif.) and the more conservative challenger Rep. Jack Kingston (Ga.). Lewis, along with his colleague Rep. Bill Young (Fla.), will now be known as “Chairman Emeritus,” an honorary title often given to former full committee chairmen.
In addition to Latham, the following seven other ranking members from the 111th Congress will become chairmen during the 112th:
- Jack Kingston (R-Ga.), Agriculture,
- Frank Wolf (R-Va.), Commerce, Justice, Science,
- Bill Young (R-Fla.), Defense,
- Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-N.J.), Energy and Water,
- Jo Ann Emerson (R-Mo.), Financial Services,
- Mike Simpson (R-Idaho), Interior, and
- Kay Granger (R-Texas), State, Foreign Operations.
Four members will take on committee leadership roles for the first time: Rep. Denny Rehberg (Mont.) will become chairman on Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education; Rep. John Culberson (Texas) on Military Construction and Veterans Affairs; Rep. Robert Aderholt (Ala.) on Homeland Security; and Rep. Ander Crenshaw (Fla.) on Legislative Branch.
The Republicans have reduced the overall size of the Appropriations Committee from 60 to 50 members, with 29 Republicans and 21 Democrats – down from 37 members while they were in the majority, according to NSSGA.
Because of new committee ratios, according to NSSGA, the Democrats have dropped the five members with the lowest seniority. They are as follows:
- Rep. Steve Israel (N.Y.),
- Rep. Tim Ryan (Ohio),
- Rep. Dutch Ruppersberger (Md.),
- Rep. Ben Chandler (Ky.), and
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz (Fla.).
Democrat appropriators are expected to announce official ranking member selections later this week, NSSGA says, but the anticipated heads are as follows:
- Sam Farr (Calif.), Agriculture
- Chaka Fattah (Pa.), Commerce, Justice, Science
- Norm Dicks (Wash.), Defense,
- Pete Visclosky (Ind.), Energy and Water,
- José Serrano (N.Y.), Financial Services,
- David Price (N.C.), Homeland Security
- Norm Dicks (Wash.), Interior,
- • Rosa DeLauro (Conn.), Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education,
- Michael Honda (Calif.), Legislative Branch,
- Sanford D. Bishop, Jr. (Ga.), Military Construction,
- Nita Lowey (N.Y.), State, Foreign Operations, and
- John Olver (D-Mass.), Transportation, Housing and Urban Development.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining advanced materials technology, with skillful design focusing on…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- A truck driver died at a cement plant in Missouri580 Views
- Caterpillar splits with Navistar, will design and build its own vocational trucks in Texas416 Views
- Dolese Bros. spend millions to upgrade another facility in Oklahoma291 Views
- Lafarge NA sells $450 million in assets to Summit Materials269 Views
- A 20-year-old died while swimming in a New York quarry240 Views