How to prevent deadly fall accidents
An accident involving a hydraulic pump at an underground limestone mine has resulted in the death of a contract mechanic, according to an accident report released Friday by the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA).
The February 27, 2014 incident involved a 27-year-old contract mechanic with 2 years of experience who was killed when he was repairing a hydraulic pump on a scaler and fell from an attached walkway about 5 feet to the ground. The report notes that he died the following day at a hospital.
MSHA recommends the following best practices for preventing fall accidents:
Ensure that persons are trained, including task-training, to understand the hazards associated with the work being performed.
Establish and discuss safe work procedures before beginning work. Identify and control all hazards associated with the work to be performed and use methods to properly protect persons.
Conduct workplace examinations before beginning any work.
Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to hazards while performing a task.
Ensure effective gates, safety chains or railings are used and properly maintained where openings may exist that could pose a hazard.
The full accident investigation report is not yet available. For more information about this accident, click here.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers294 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger145 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park144 Views