Illinois businesses lose money, production to copper thefts
Businesses in Winnebago County, Illinois, have lost hundreds of thousands of dollars to copper thieves in the past year, according to a report from Rockford’s WIFR.
Winnebago County Sheriff Deputy Chief Dominic Iasparro said thieves have been stealing copper from equipment at quarries in Roscoe and Seward and near Rockford.
Paul Munson of Northern Illinois Service Company said the company’s Sandy Hollow Road site has experienced copper theft about 12 times since March 2012. Munson said the thefts have cost the company nearly $400,000 in machine repairs and security upgrades, as well as about three months of lost production.
According to the report, investigators have said multiple people are likely committing the copper thefts. Authorities have not made any arrests since the thefts began a year ago.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Check out the fun of Fertile Days at Fertile Quarry3103 Views
- PHOTOS, VIDEO: Take a virtual tour of Unimin's underground operation in Guion, Ark.2354 Views
- When gravel doesn't bond with resurfacing substance...553 Views
- Sneak peek: Inside Unimin's safety strategies309 Views
- How to become a more productive worker307 Views