It Ain’t Easy Being Green
Even where sources of aggregate exist, quality (specifications), environmental issues, zoning, encroachment by incompatible land uses, land ownership, and citizen opposition limit production. It is not uncommon for producers to take 10 years to bring new supplies of aggregates on line. Aggregate is heavy and bulky, and transporting it 20 to 30 miles can double its price and increase traffic accidents, greenhouse gas emissions, and road and vehicle maintenance.
Sustainable aggregate resource management is an appropriate framework for addressing the complex issues associated with aggregate development. This column will work through the obstacles to SARM just like Lucy and Rosie jump, climb, tunnel, and weave through the obstacles on their agility courses.
If you have an interesting sustainability experience you would like to share (or if you like canine agility), please send me an e-mail (email@example.com).
MORE FROM Articles
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Vulcan shareholders reject board changes at annual meeting956 Views
- Excavators uncover ancient quarry in Jerusalem922 Views
- Former gravel quarry-turned-landfill transforms into nature reserve486 Views
- Americans consume 3 million pounds of minerals in a lifetime235 Views
- Diesel fuel price report: May 13, 2013185 Views