JCB backhoe breaks world record
JCB’s 3CX Backhoe Loader landed a place in The Guinness Book of World Records by completing a 26-day, 3,185-mile road trip across America. The “Backhoe Across America” fundraising journey beat the current world record for “The Longest Journey in an Excavator” by 600 miles.
Neil Smith, a JCB veteran, drove the updated JCB 3CX with support from a Backhoe Across America crew. He started in Tybee Island, Georgia, on March 26, carrying a bucket of East Coast sand.
During the journey, Smith and his crew made “pit stops” at JCB dealerships in eight cities to help raise awareness and funds for the American Red Cross Haiti Relief and Development Fund.
Smith spent 119.5 hours in the cab, averaging 27 mph. He ended the journey in Santa Monica, California, on April 20, where he dropped off the Tybee Island sand.
To see the journey and daily video logs, visit www.JCBforHaiti.com.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Manufacturers News
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Rock & Run 2014 was full of fun for everyone637 Views
- Mine expansion leaving MnDOT up a creek without a paddle415 Views
- OSHA cites Nebraska sand and gravel company344 Views
- The Underground World Wide Web: A new use for abandoned mines148 Views
- How to stay safe while working with a small or short-handed crew134 Views