Kansas regulators delete explosives regulations
In what can only be categorized as a mistake of monumental proportions, a former Kansas assistant attorney general deleted all the rules and regulations covering explosives permits from the state records.
To remedy this error, The Topeka Capital-Journal reports that State Fire Marshal Doug Jorgensen wants the state to pass Senate Bill 227, which would give him the authority for writing rules and regulations — including provisions for fixing, charging, and collecting license fees and penalties — that could be written after the bill is passed.
Edward Moses, managing director of the Kansas Aggregate Producers Association, notes that a state error doesn’t justify allowing the fire marshal’s office to develop a whole new set of rules and regulations. The existing governance was developed over many years with the involvement of numerous parties.
“We haven’t been on a regulatory holiday for the past three years,” he told the newspaper. “The reality is that we already have a finely tuned system of explosives safety and regulation, which more than adequately promotes the public safety and allows for the safe development of our natural resources.”
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: Hlavinka Equipment opens Texas Hlavinda JCB division; Terex Washing Systems appoints new global sales director; Skelly and Loy promotes Aungst to VP of AMS; Luff Industries adds Riddell as territory manager; Caterpillar opens first Data Innovation Lab; Yokohama Tire Corp. will help build eco-friendly playground
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Vulcan Materials to meet August deadline for restoring eastern hillside of Azusa rock quarry476 Views
- MSHA issues serious non-fatal accident alert, best practices in response to water truck accident452 Views
- MSHA Fatality Review Committee determines several fatalities are chargeable to the mining industry321 Views
- Excavator explodes into flames after engine malfunction on New York jobsite (VIDEO)280 Views
- Eric Olsen appointed future CEO of Lafarge Holcim merger254 Views