King County buys Maury Island gravel mine
King County has agreed to buy a gravel mine on Maury Island in the Puget Sound for $36 million and turn the site into a county park, ending years of dispute about the mine’s expansion, the Associated Press (AP) reports.
Glacier Northwest, a subsidiary of the CalPortland Co., for more than a decade has planned to mine up to 2 million tons of sand and gravel a year, the AP reports.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Rock and Bowl: Graniterock helps make the Super Bowl a success630 Views
- Miner seriously injured after articulated haul truck overturned536 Views
- Aggregates industry leader Bob Bartlett dies505 Views
- Obama says now is time to raise gas tax with oil prices plummeting463 Views
- LafargeHolcim is considering selling Lafarge India284 Views