King County buys Maury Island gravel mine
King County has agreed to buy a gravel mine on Maury Island in the Puget Sound for $36 million and turn the site into a county park, ending years of dispute about the mine’s expansion, the Associated Press (AP) reports.
Glacier Northwest, a subsidiary of the CalPortland Co., for more than a decade has planned to mine up to 2 million tons of sand and gravel a year, the AP reports.
From our partners
The new Sandvik Ranger surface drill rig offers renowned drilling efficiency with up to 20% lower fuel consumption
Known to many by their former name, Ranger, Sandvik’s DX series surface…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Man hit by front-end loader dies in quarry accident1311 Views
- PHOTOS: Rare prehistoric mammoth found at sand and gravel pit1045 Views
- What should be done with this big pile of sand?700 Views
- Watch this: Dredging at Teichert's Hallwood Plant538 Views
- North America sand market to see big growth500 Views