King County buys Maury Island gravel mine
King County has agreed to buy a gravel mine on Maury Island in the Puget Sound for $36 million and turn the site into a county park, ending years of dispute about the mine’s expansion, the Associated Press (AP) reports.
Glacier Northwest, a subsidiary of the CalPortland Co., for more than a decade has planned to mine up to 2 million tons of sand and gravel a year, the AP reports.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Vulcan shareholders reject board changes at annual meeting960 Views
- Excavators uncover ancient quarry in Jerusalem923 Views
- Former gravel quarry-turned-landfill transforms into nature reserve492 Views
- Americans consume 3 million pounds of minerals in a lifetime238 Views
- Diesel fuel price report: May 13, 2013185 Views