King County buys Maury Island gravel mine
King County has agreed to buy a gravel mine on Maury Island in the Puget Sound for $36 million and turn the site into a county park, ending years of dispute about the mine’s expansion, the Associated Press (AP) reports.
Glacier Northwest, a subsidiary of the CalPortland Co., for more than a decade has planned to mine up to 2 million tons of sand and gravel a year, the AP reports.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Osama bin Laden's family buys famous marble quarry1914 Views
- Four workers survive getting buried alive at sand and gravel plant1161 Views
- Vulcan in bidding war with USC740 Views
- 15 quarry trespassers arrested in Pennsylvania510 Views
- VIDEO: Worker dangles from excavator hammer 100 feet up450 Views