Martin Marietta Materials obtains local permit for Maple Hill rock quarry
The Onslow County Board of Adjustment awarded Martin Marietta Materials a special use permit for a rock quarry in Maple Hill on Tuesday, Jacksonville Daily News reported.
The zoning permission allows the company to build a 1,800-acre limestone mine on N.C. 50 near Haws Run Road.
Though many residents had concerns such as sinkholes and de-watering, geologists won over the judges by testifying that the limestone milk would not cause major problems in the area.
Martin Marietta Materials still needs to acquire a permit from the state. Residents can file for an appeal for 30 days; the time period started Tuesday.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Two teens dead after falling through ice at quarry742 Views
- CRH emerges as frontrunner for Holcim and Lafarge assets552 Views
- MSHA files more discrimination complaints in 2014 than any other year312 Views
- Caterpillar full-year earnings dip with bad 4Q; 2015 doesn't look good either280 Views
- A. Colarusso and Son acquires Holcim land in NY136 Views