Martin Marietta Materials obtains local permit for Maple Hill rock quarry
The Onslow County Board of Adjustment awarded Martin Marietta Materials a special use permit for a rock quarry in Maple Hill on Tuesday, Jacksonville Daily News reported.
The zoning permission allows the company to build a 1,800-acre limestone mine on N.C. 50 near Haws Run Road.
Though many residents had concerns such as sinkholes and de-watering, geologists won over the judges by testifying that the limestone milk would not cause major problems in the area.
Martin Marietta Materials still needs to acquire a permit from the state. Residents can file for an appeal for 30 days; the time period started Tuesday.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- What to expect at the 2014 ConExpo-Con/Agg show258 Views
- Follow these best practices for safe crushing operations254 Views
- 25 Days of RollOuts: Atlas Copco’s bucket crushers243 Views
- 25 Days of RollOuts: Caterpillar’s 988K wheel loader175 Views
- Komatsu's WA1200-6 wheel loader offers more horsepower, lower costs172 Views