Martin Marietta Materials obtains local permit for Maple Hill rock quarry
The Onslow County Board of Adjustment awarded Martin Marietta Materials a special use permit for a rock quarry in Maple Hill on Tuesday, Jacksonville Daily News reported.
The zoning permission allows the company to build a 1,800-acre limestone mine on N.C. 50 near Haws Run Road.
Though many residents had concerns such as sinkholes and de-watering, geologists won over the judges by testifying that the limestone milk would not cause major problems in the area.
Martin Marietta Materials still needs to acquire a permit from the state. Residents can file for an appeal for 30 days; the time period started Tuesday.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Cat introduces new track drill432 Views
- Mike Rowe talks about the dirty topic of educating future workers412 Views
- Caterpillar highlights equipment and connectivity at ConExpo-Con/Agg326 Views
- McLanahan Rolls Out Four Key Products198 Views
- Rod Martin receives AggMan of the Year 2013 Award193 Views