Martin Marietta Materials obtains local permit for Maple Hill rock quarry
The Onslow County Board of Adjustment awarded Martin Marietta Materials a special use permit for a rock quarry in Maple Hill on Tuesday, Jacksonville Daily News reported.
The zoning permission allows the company to build a 1,800-acre limestone mine on N.C. 50 near Haws Run Road.
Though many residents had concerns such as sinkholes and de-watering, geologists won over the judges by testifying that the limestone milk would not cause major problems in the area.
Martin Marietta Materials still needs to acquire a permit from the state. Residents can file for an appeal for 30 days; the time period started Tuesday.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Rock & Run 2014 was full of fun for everyone621 Views
- Mine expansion leaving MnDOT up a creek without a paddle425 Views
- How to stay safe while working with a small or short-handed crew179 Views
- Majority of construction firms can't find skilled workers130 Views
- Sand thieves targeting the world's beaches110 Views