Martin Marietta Materials obtains local permit for Maple Hill rock quarry
The Onslow County Board of Adjustment awarded Martin Marietta Materials a special use permit for a rock quarry in Maple Hill on Tuesday, Jacksonville Daily News reported.
The zoning permission allows the company to build a 1,800-acre limestone mine on N.C. 50 near Haws Run Road.
Though many residents had concerns such as sinkholes and de-watering, geologists won over the judges by testifying that the limestone milk would not cause major problems in the area.
Martin Marietta Materials still needs to acquire a permit from the state. Residents can file for an appeal for 30 days; the time period started Tuesday.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Obama proposes $10-per-barrel tax on oil production752 Views
- Rock and Bowl: Graniterock helps make the Super Bowl a success615 Views
- Aggregates industry leader Bob Bartlett dies460 Views
- Obama says now is time to raise gas tax with oil prices plummeting446 Views
- Miner seriously injured after articulated haul truck overturned373 Views