Martin Marietta requests water discharge permit for proposed North Carolina quarry
Martin Marietta Materials may soon operate a limestone quarry in Beaufort County, North Carolina.
Area residents are considering the pros and cons of the proposed quarry, pointing to the quarry’s impact on water tables, wells and the Blounts Creek environment as a potential concern, WITN reports.
The North Carolina Division of Water Quality in May granted Martin Marietta the certification the company needed. Now the company is seeking a permit for water discharge from the North Carolina Division of Water Resources.
Residents will meet with Pamlico-Tar Riverkeeper Heather Deck and Geoff Gisler, an attorney with Southern Environmental Law Center, on Thursday to discuss the proposed quarry.
According to WITN’s report, the Department of Water Resources will likely decide by mid-October whether to grant the permit.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Kelly Bailey named 2015 AggMan of the Year513 Views
- MSHA and NSSGA release new infographic about material handling injuries340 Views
- Hillary Clinton rolls out new $275 billion infrastructure plan325 Views
- Miner suspended upside down pulled to safety by his pant legs193 Views
- Democratic senators call for shorter highway bill in order to maximize funding166 Views