Martin Marietta requests water discharge permit for proposed North Carolina quarry
Martin Marietta Materials may soon operate a limestone quarry in Beaufort County, North Carolina.
Area residents are considering the pros and cons of the proposed quarry, pointing to the quarry’s impact on water tables, wells and the Blounts Creek environment as a potential concern, WITN reports.
The North Carolina Division of Water Quality in May granted Martin Marietta the certification the company needed. Now the company is seeking a permit for water discharge from the North Carolina Division of Water Resources.
Residents will meet with Pamlico-Tar Riverkeeper Heather Deck and Geoff Gisler, an attorney with Southern Environmental Law Center, on Thursday to discuss the proposed quarry.
According to WITN’s report, the Department of Water Resources will likely decide by mid-October whether to grant the permit.
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- PHOTOS: Cat introduces new track drill438 Views
- Mike Rowe talks about the dirty topic of educating future workers416 Views
- Caterpillar highlights equipment and connectivity at ConExpo-Con/Agg333 Views
- McLanahan Rolls Out Four Key Products204 Views
- Rod Martin receives AggMan of the Year 2013 Award193 Views