Mendez, Mica: ‘We’ll have a surface transportation bill by August recess’
by John Latta, Better Roads Editor-in-Chief, sister publication to Aggregates Manager magazine
ORLANDO—1st International Transportation Construction Management Conference
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) head Victor Mendez had at least a positive outlook on Feb. 8 at the 1st International Transportation Construction Management Conference, one that is loaded with intense technical presentations.
One: Mendez and House Transportation and Infrastructure (T&I) Committee Chairman John Mica appear to be getting on like a house on fire.
Two: They both think we’ll have a surface transportation bill on the President’s desk by the August recess.
Three: Both share an urgent desire to cut project delivery times in half. Mendez says FHWA is already working on it with two distinct foci — more efficient planning and more efficient construction.
Four: One of the most important takeaways from the Stimulus was that urgency, properly channeled, works.
Five: There is technology out there that is unemployed or underemployed and decision-makers in industry and government need to be bolder and less risk averse, without being foolhardy, in finding ways to use them.
From our partners
Developing a solid relationship with Demolition Technologies Specialized Services enables Crushing Tigers and Sandvik Construction to impact the demolition and…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- House of Representatives passes bill blocking EPA's new Waters of the U.S. rule400 Views
- The Labor Department is auditing MSHA for allegedly failing to collect penalty fines371 Views
- Cat introduces larger sizes of its Tier 4 Final articulated trucks358 Views
- Lafarge CEO awarded $2.78 million bonus for 'key role' in merger332 Views
- Caterpillar intros 336F L XE hybrid excavator: smart pumps, boom work faster, burn less fuel (PHOTOS)311 Views