Mendez, Mica: ‘We’ll have a surface transportation bill by August recess’
by John Latta, Better Roads Editor-in-Chief, sister publication to Aggregates Manager magazine
ORLANDO—1st International Transportation Construction Management Conference
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) head Victor Mendez had at least a positive outlook on Feb. 8 at the 1st International Transportation Construction Management Conference, one that is loaded with intense technical presentations.
One: Mendez and House Transportation and Infrastructure (T&I) Committee Chairman John Mica appear to be getting on like a house on fire.
Two: They both think we’ll have a surface transportation bill on the President’s desk by the August recess.
Three: Both share an urgent desire to cut project delivery times in half. Mendez says FHWA is already working on it with two distinct foci — more efficient planning and more efficient construction.
Four: One of the most important takeaways from the Stimulus was that urgency, properly channeled, works.
Five: There is technology out there that is unemployed or underemployed and decision-makers in industry and government need to be bolder and less risk averse, without being foolhardy, in finding ways to use them.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction’s extensive range of rock tools are world renowned for combining advanced materials technology, with skillful design focusing on…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- MSHA rolls out new Part 50 training program618 Views
- Caterpillar splits with Navistar, will design and build its own vocational trucks in Texas416 Views
- MSHA highlights second quarter metal/non-metal accidents302 Views
- Mummified human remains found at the site of a planned quarry in Indiana277 Views
- Lafarge NA sells $450 million in assets to Summit Materials240 Views