Mendez, Mica: ‘We’ll have a surface transportation bill by August recess’
by John Latta, Better Roads Editor-in-Chief, sister publication to Aggregates Manager magazine
ORLANDO—1st International Transportation Construction Management Conference
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) head Victor Mendez had at least a positive outlook on Feb. 8 at the 1st International Transportation Construction Management Conference, one that is loaded with intense technical presentations.
One: Mendez and House Transportation and Infrastructure (T&I) Committee Chairman John Mica appear to be getting on like a house on fire.
Two: They both think we’ll have a surface transportation bill on the President’s desk by the August recess.
Three: Both share an urgent desire to cut project delivery times in half. Mendez says FHWA is already working on it with two distinct foci — more efficient planning and more efficient construction.
Four: One of the most important takeaways from the Stimulus was that urgency, properly channeled, works.
Five: There is technology out there that is unemployed or underemployed and decision-makers in industry and government need to be bolder and less risk averse, without being foolhardy, in finding ways to use them.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support179 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park163 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger148 Views
- Missouri man arrested for burglary of quarry and gun range113 Views