Mine Safety & Health Law Special Institute
Location: Washington, D.C.
Sponsors: The Energy and Mineral Law Foundation and the U.S. Department of Labor
Information & registration: www.emlf.org/Content/safety_10.aspx
The first day of the program covers the civil penalty case backlog resulting from operator contests of MSHA enforcement actions; mine plan approvals; reform of the MSHA respirable dust program, and MSHA enforcement – inspection issues: (1) 103(j) and (k) orders and accident reporting, (2) handling document requests during routine inspections, and (3) documenting the scene for litigation.
The second day includes an industry perspective on advances in mine safety and health, a primer on Section 105(c) complaints and temporary reinstatement, and a second session on MSHA enforcement – litigation issues: (1) developments in the law of Significant and Substantial, Unwarrantable Failures and Part 100 criteria; (2) Flagrant Violations and defenses and (3) use of the Pattern of Violations process.
After lunch on Wednesday, March 24, the Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission, sitting in special session at the USDOL auditorium, will hear oral arguments in Secretary of Labor v. Eastern Associated Coal Corp., with Edward Waldman for the Secretary and Hank Moore for Eastern Associated Coal, the issue being whether the Administrative Law Judge erred in finding that a violation of roof control requirements was not caused by the operator’s “unwarrantable failure” to comply.
From our partners
Developing a solid relationship with Demolition Technologies Specialized Services enables Crushing Tigers and Sandvik Construction to impact the demolition and…
MORE FROM Event Calendar
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Mummified human remains found at the site of a planned quarry in Indiana1159 Views
- A quarry worker was found dead in a lake a week after he fell from a floating dredge1046 Views
- MSHA rolls out new Part 50 training program571 Views
- Senate DRIVE Act is a six-year transportation bill with three-year Highway Trust Fund financing guarantee289 Views
- Caterpillar splits with Navistar, will design and build its own vocational trucks in Texas279 Views