Minnesota Pollution Control Agency requests addition of silica-sand quarry in EIS
The Fillmore County board is expected to discuss the Rein silica-sand quarry, located near Highland, Minnesota, on April 23, following the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) requesting the board to look into whether the quarry should be part of a study of quarrying in the region, PostBulletin.com reported.
The study, conducted by the Environmental Quality Board (EQB), largely focuses on the environmental impacts of Minnesota Sands LLC in Fillmore, Houston and Winona counties. Though the company does not operate the Rein quarry, MPCA recommended the quarry be included in the study because it could affect the area being studied.
The Rein quarry, which has been extracting silica sand for about five years, has requested permission to expand from 18.6 acres to 50 acres and has already prepared an environmental assessment worksheet. A full environmental impact statement (EIS) would take another year.
The EQB still needs to meet with those proposing projects to discuss what will be studied and how much the study would cost before deciding the scope of the EIS.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support179 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission177 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park163 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger148 Views
- Missouri man arrested for burglary of quarry and gun range113 Views