Mission Valley Rock plant reduces energy costs by 12 percent
Lehigh Hanson’s Mission Valley Rock plant in Sunol, California, reduced it energy intensity by 12.2 percent in one year, achieving the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Energy Star Challenge for Industry.
As a result of the accomplishment, the plant also reduced its annual source energy use by 28,987 mmBtus and its annual CO2e use by 817 MT.
In order to reduce the plant’s energy costs, plant management and personnel at the company’s technical competency center in Irving, Texas, completed a comprehensive review of the major systems at the plant, including crushers, conveyors, pumps, screens, feeders, fans, heating, air compressors and more.
Plant management used the findings to plan and implement energy-related projects, which included process improvements, energy optimization strategies and equipment installations such as hot oil economizers and variable speed drives. The plant also shifted some of the production tasks, reducing loads at peak times, and set monthly demand control targets.
The Mission Valley Rock plant is the first aggregates production site to achieve the Energy Star Challenge for Industry.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest…
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers293 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission173 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger141 Views
- Eagle Scout project rebuilds DeSoto State Park hiking trail from stone found in old quarry at park138 Views