MSHA Alert: Bank Safety
The incident involved a 53-year-old utility worker with 19 years of experience who was killed when a bank collapsed and engulfed him. He had been standing near the edge of the bank.
MSHA recommends the following best practices for working near banks:
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures before beginning work. Identify and control all hazards associated with the work to be performed and the methods to properly protect persons.
- Task train all persons to recognize all potential hazardous conditions that can decrease bank or slope stability and ensure they understand safe job procedures for elimination of the hazards.
- Evaluate all pit, highwall, slope, and bank conditions daily. Be especially vigilant for these conditions after each rain, freeze, or thaw.
- Slope trenches back at a stable angle or install shoring when working in and around trenches.
- Correct hazardous conditions by working from a safe location.
To view the full accident report, click here.
From our partners
Sandvik Construction launches the newly developed CH540 cone crusher - the latest…