MSHA Alert: Dozer safety
The Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) released the investigation report on a Sept. 26, 2012, fatality at a construction sand and gravel site. The incident involved a 79-year old foreman who was killed when he was run over by the dozer he had been operating.
Keep in mind the following best practices when operating equipment:
- Inspect equipment before placing it in operation for the shift.
- Correct safety and operational defects on equipment in a timely manner to prevent the creation of a hazard to persons.
- Establish safe work procedures and identify and remove hazards before beginning a task.
- Prior to beginning work, ensure that persons are task-trained and understand the hazards associated with the work being performed. Know and follow safe work procedures before beginning repairs.
- Block dozer against motion by lowering the blade and ripper to the ground and setting the parking brake. Set the transmission lock lever to ensure the transmission is in neutral.
- Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to hazards while performing a task.
- Monitor personnel routinely to determine that safe work procedures are followed.
To view the full accident report, click here.
From our partners
MORE FROM Aggbeat Online
Manufacturer news: McLanahan hosts first Frac Sand Processing School in Wisconsin; The Volvo Group sponsors Ocean Summit on Marine Debris; CEMA publishes 7th Edition Belt Conveyors for Bulk Materials; Superior Industries acquires Clemro Western Ltd.; Metso launches new global website; Xylem launches new online interactive dewatering platform; Eriez offers 5-Star Service Program; JCB Finance enters partnership with Bank of the West
SUBSCRIBE & FOLLOW
- Lower oil prices send mixed signals to frac sand producers293 Views
- Legislation stopping proposed Waters of the U.S. rule passes Transportation and Infrastructure committee with bipartisan support178 Views
- Bipartisan highway bill would tie federal gas tax to inflation, create transportation commission159 Views
- Lafarge and Holcim announce U.S. asset divestments required by Federal Trade Commission for merger140 Views
- PHOTOS: Caterpillar: Modern Earthmoving Marvels traces equipment evolution123 Views